‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
CLASSIFICATION: Artisan 1
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $20.88 to $23.12 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: May to September (Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 13, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 28, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• interpret and demonstrate the life, work, skills and activities of a 19th century day labourer and gardener within Upper Canada Village
• interpret and demonstrate 19th century gardening and landscape historical horticultural practices to visitors (e.g., seeding, transplanting, weed and pest control, layout, tools, etc.)
• provide garden tours and assist with special gardening events
• interpret village life and the features of a small rural 1860’s village
• support Upper Canada Village programming and customer service initiatives
• ensure the safety of visitors and staff and protect the resources of the site
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Conditional upon successful candidate being granted required security clearance for this position (Vulnerable Service Sector check).
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• You have knowledge of 19th century horticultural practices and related trades, and the social, economic and political environment in 19th century Canada.
• You have the ability to follow all health and safety procedures outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• You have the ability to interpret safety and protective features in a positive way.
• You have the ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
HORTICULTURAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• You have knowledge of 19th century gardening and landscape plant materials and features.
• You have the ability to set up and maintain a hot bed for seed propagation of historical plant materials.
• You have the ability to plant, cultivate, harvest and otherwise tend ornamental and vegetable gardens in an historical manner.
• You have the ability to maintain an orchard in an historical manner (e.g. pruning, insect control).
• You are able to identify plant materials by their botanical and common names.
• You have experience performing activities associated with traditional gardening (e.g. spading, weeding, watering, etc.)
• You have experience performing a wide range of skills associated with landscape maintenance (e.g. scything, road maintenance, raking, fence building, etc.)
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
• You have excellent oral communication skills to engage guests, deliver information in an entertaining manner with enthusiasm and high energy, and respond effectively to customer questions and concerns.
• You have the ability to “read” the customer, understand when he/she is not connecting, and the flexibility in approach and content to serve visitor needs.
• You have the ability to learn both historical and technical subject matter in order to present it well to visitors.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON TUESDAY, MAY 28, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.