‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Finance and Human Resources
Administration Building, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
CLASSIFICATION: Purchasing Agent
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Office Administration
SALARY RANGE: $1,024.59 to $1,229.00 per week
(Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level)
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: mid March to mid January (Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Corporate Services, Finance
LOCATION: Administration Building, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 30, 2019
CLOSING DATE: June 13, 2019
extended to June 19, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Provide guidance and purchasing services to staff, following procurement policies and procedures
• Prepare contracts and agreements and coordinate their effective management
• Maintain purchasing documents and accurate financial records
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of purchasing and procurement acquired through demonstrated progressive experience and/or formal education or training.
• Knowledge and in-depth experience in all aspects of procurement and contract management, including relevant legislation, business law and administration, outsourcing, partnership, tendering, and proposal practices and principles, evaluation of tenders and proposals, and pertinent contract requirements regarding employer’s liability, indemnification, and comprehensive liability insurance.
• Experience in developing specifications, analyzing bids, and administering contracts.
• Demonstrated experience with purchasing systems and all stages of the tendering process.
• Thorough knowledge of purchasing methods and practices, sourcing, market trends and conditions.
• Knowledge and understanding of electronic tendering services.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills to prepare and present procurement materials, including reports, RFX documents, contracts, legal documents, work instructions and policy documents.
• Strong interpersonal skills to disseminate procurement policies and to build and enhance client and supplier relationships with tact and diplomacy.
• The ability to respond to queries from contractors to explain service or contract requirements in specific detail.
• The ability to comprehend complex and technical language of Provincial templates for Goods and Services.
• The ability to create, edit and interpret contracts.
ANALYTICAL, ORGANIZATIONAL AND PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS
• Analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills to analyze and assess tender submissions and rationalize eliminating or recommending bidders.
• The ability to analyze purchasing trends and methods to explore where direct cost savings may be achieved, e.g. consolidation, central coordination, blanket orders, bulk or scheduled orders.
• The ability to evaluate new or specialized products to determine their potential for ministry use.
• Excellent planning and time management skills to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
• The ability to work with minimum supervision.
NEGOTIATION AND COMPUTER SKILLS
• Negotiating and consulting skills to troubleshoot and resolve contentious issues between client and contractor/vendor and renegotiate contractual arrangements, if required.
• The ability to negotiate refunds or acceptable substitutes when vendor is unable to provide item specified or shipment is substandard.
• Experience working with computers and software to enter data into financial system, prepare reports, and maintain records.
DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 11:59 PM ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 19, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.