‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Lead Interpreter, Horticulture
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
LEAD INTERPRETER, HORTICULTURE
CLASSIFICATION: Artisan 2
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $23.13 to $25.66 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: April to October(Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 10, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 27, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Act as lead hand for the horticultural interpretive staff at Upper Canada Village.
• Provide leadership and support for the horticultural staff and activities on site.
• Interpret the life, work, skills, and activities of a19th century day-labourer and gardener.
• Interpret 19th century gardens and landscapes, assist with special events, provide historical garden tours, and perform on-site garden and landscape maintenance.
• Support Upper Canada Village programming and customer service initiatives.
• Deliver experiential programming to youth program participants.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Conditional upon successful candidate being granted the required security clearance for the position (Vulnerable Service Sector check).
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence or equivalent to drive on Ontario highways.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated horticultural and landscaping skills and knowledge.
• Knowledge of 19th century horticultural and landscaping practices and the social, economic, and political environment in 19th century Canada.
• The ability to operate horticultural equipment and machinery.
• The ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS
• Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to speak and present information to large numbers of visitors of varied ages and backgrounds.
• A personal commitment to excellent customer service.
LEADERSHIP, TEAMWORK AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS
• Effective leadership skills to provide orientation and training to horticultural staff.
• Teamwork skills to work with staff to accomplish horticultural, landscaping, and other tasks in support of Village events and programs.
• Organizational skills to coordinate the set-up and maintenance of the gardens, orchards, and landscape on site, assigning daily, weekly, and seasonal tasks and projects to staff.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, MAY 27, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.