‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Assistant Park Ranger, Woodlands Campground
Parks and Recreational Facilities
Long Sault Parkway
Job Description & Requirements
ASSISTANT PARK RANGER
CLASSIFICATION: Resource Technician 2
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $22.56 to $25.14 per hour
(Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level)
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: April to October(Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Parks and Recreation
LOCATION: Woodlands Campground
POSTING DATE: July 5, 2019
CLOSING DATE: July 22, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• assist in leading a team with the operation of a campground by providing park administrative and maintenance functions
• provide group leadership to park staff in the Park Ranger’s absence, assign and monitor work, provide training, promote high levels of customer service, and participate in the review of staff performance
• provide information and assistance to park visitors, explaining rules and regulations
• provide a variety of park maintenance services such as cutting grass, painting, performing repairs, cleaning park facilities, etc.
• ensure proper procedures are followed, completing a variety of reports, and reporting immediately any potential hazards or needed repairs and taking corrective action within your power
• bring staff performance and misconduct issues to the attention of the Regional Parks Operations Manager
• assist with the supervision of programming and staging of special events within your park
• assist in dealing with public inquiries and complaints in accordance with approved policies and procedures
• coordinate the provision of security services and provide group leadership to junior security staff
• respond to first aid emergencies and assist with in-house training programs for emergency procedures for all staff
• work in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations, and the Employer’s occupational health and safety policies
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence.
• Training in conflict resolution and/or designation as a Provincial Offences Officer.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge of park operations (day-use, campground, beaches and registration) and legislation relating to park management (e.g. St. Lawrence Parks Act, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, Highway Traffic Act, Public Health Act).
• General knowledge of tourism.
• Knowledge of the safe operation and maintenance of tractors and mowing equipment.
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act to ensure compliance when performing supervisory/group leadership responsibilities.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to deal effectively with visitor complaints and requests, and to give instructions and explain practices to workers.
• A personal commitment to exceptional customer service.
LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS:
• The ability to assist with the supervision of programming and special events.
• The ability to provide a variety of park maintenance services, including assisting with the care and maintenance of tractors and mowing equipment.
• The ability to plan and coordinate daily activities of staff to ensure operational needs are met.
PROBLEM-SOLVING AND REASONING SKILLS:
• Strong problem-solving and reasoning skills to deal with problems between visitors and to determine the most effective course of action.
ADMINISTRATIVE, FINANCIAL AND COMPUTER SKILLS:
• Knowledge of computer programs/software to process reservations and prepare a variety of reports.
• Knowledge of administrative procedures to provide support to the Park Ranger in the daily operations of the park.
• Cash handling skills and mathematical skills to process sales and reservations, balance receipts and complete deposits.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, JULY 22, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.