‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Historical Trades Interpreter
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Fixed Term Group 1
Job Description & Requirements
HISTORICAL TRADES INTERPRETER
CLASSIFICATION: Artisan 1
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $20.88 to $23.12 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: May to September (Group 1 temporary)
HOURS OF WORK: Variable up to 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 10, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 27, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• interpret the work and lifestyle of a tradesman in the 1860’s by interpreting the historical role of various 19th century trades, working with and demonstrating a variety of period tools, materials and techniques;
• make and assist with the production and promotion of historical reproduction items such as ironware, furniture, tinware, bread, shoes and brooms;
• support Upper Canada Village programming by leading hands-on trades-related activities for youth and school groups participating in Village programs;
• providing support for on-site events and programs, and assisting occasionally with evening and off-site programs such as workshops, special events, etc.
• interpret village life and features by participating and explaining to visitors a variety of community re-enactments and events, providing visitors with basic information about structures, setting and activities throughout the site
• support customer service initiatives by treating all staff and visitors with high level of respect and ensuring the resolution of visitor concerns and questions
• ensure the safety of the visitors and staff and protect the resources of the site by reporting immediately any potential hazards or needed repairs, and following all established health and safety procedures
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Conditional upon successful candidate being granted required security clearance for this position (Vulnerable Service Sector check).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• You have the hands-on trades skills, and the ability to perform and demonstrate the work of one or more mid-19th century tradesmen (e.g., Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Tinsmith, Shoemaker, Baker, Broom-maker).
• You have the knowledge to portray and interpret the lifestyle and the historical trades represented within Upper Canada Village.
• You have an understanding of the work, and the ability to care for and use competently the tools and machinery of a mid-19th tradesman.
• You have the physical strength, coordination, motor skills and patience to perform the work.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
• You have excellent oral communication skills to engage guests, deliver information in an entertaining manner with enthusiasm and high energy, and respond effectively to customer questions and concerns.
• You have the ability to “read” the customer, understand when he/she is not connecting, and the flexibility in approach and content to serve visitor needs.
• You have the ability to learn both historical and technical subject matter in order to present it well to visitors.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, MAY 27, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.