‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Assistant Bakery and Historical Bakery Interpreter
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Fixed Term Group 1
Job Description & Requirements
ASSISTANT BAKERY AND HISTORICAL BAKERY INTERPRETER
CLASSIFICATION: Artisan 1
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $20.88 to $23.12 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: May to September(Group 1 temporary)
HOURS OF WORK: Variable up to 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 10, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 27, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Interpret the life and work of a typical baker in a rural 1860’s community.
• Provide relief interpretation in trades shops & homes such as the Printing Office, Broom-maker, Shoemaker, Cabinetmaker, Blacksmith & Tinsmith.
• Produce and promote Village products manufactured by the Village Bakery and within the historical trades unit.
• Participate in the delivery and support of youth programs & other Village features, events & programs.
• Ensure the safety of visitors and staff and protect the resources of the site.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Conditional upon successful candidate being granted required security clearance for this position (Vulnerable Service Sector check).
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge of the immediate historical context of all activities performed and an understanding of the place of the bakery within an 1860s community.
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act to identify and report any potential hazards or needed repairs, and to take corrective action where possible. Ability to learn and follow safety and emergency procedures appropriate to the location and activities performed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
• Strong oral communication skills to meet the interpretive standards established for the position and to resolve visitor concerns and respond to questions in a friendly and respectful manner.
INTERPRETIVE, BAKING AND OTHER TRADES SKILLS:
• The ability to interpret the work and lifestyle of a typical baker in a rural 1860s community.
• The ability to mix dough by hand and bake bread in a wood-fired brick oven.
• The ability to perform and demonstrate basic wood, leather and metal working tasks in other historical trades represented on site.
• The physical ability to meet the demands of the position.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, MAY 27, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.