‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Manual Worker, Grounds and Roads
Parks and Recreational Facilities
Maintenance Building, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
MANUAL WORKER, GROUNDS AND ROADS
CLASSIFICATION: Manual Worker
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Operational & Maintenance
SALARY RANGE: $19.81 to $21.37 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: April to September (Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Maintenance and Operations
LOCATION: Maintenance Building, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 13, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 28, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Assist the roads and grounds department staff and tradespersons with the maintenance program for the St. Lawrence Parks Commission (SLPC).
• Assist the maintenance tradespersons with minor carpentry, painting and masonry tasks, clearing snow, landscaping, removing garbage and recycling, and maintaining workshop, vehicles, and equipment such as tractors, weed whips, and lawn mowers.
• Support all special events in all business units with set up and tear down of tents, props, lights, posts, fences, etc.
• Assist with the daily preparation and clean-up of work sites, including collection and delivery of supplies for the work sites using a half-ton truck.
• Operate small motorized equipment, tractors, wood splitters, etc. in a safe manner.
• Work in compliance with all health and safety regulations, the Occupational Health & Safety Act of Ontario, and SLPC procedures and policies.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence to drive on Ontario highways.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Working knowledge of the safe operation of hand and power tools and other equipment required for the job.
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to the work performed.
OTHER ESSENTIAL SKILLS
• The ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• The ability to climb ladders to a height of 30 feet.
• The physical ability to operate a snow blower, mix cement and use other equipment applicable to the work performed.
• The ability to follow safe lifting procedures.
• A personal commitment to excellent customer service.
• The ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays as required.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON TUESDAY, MAY 28, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.