‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Start Over with Job Search
Cheese Manufacture & Agricultural Support Worker
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
CHEESE MANUFACTURE AND AGRICULTURAL SUPPORT WORKER
CLASSIFICATION: Interpreter 2
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Technical
SALARY RANGE: $16.91 to $17.95 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: May to September (Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: May 9, 2019
CLOSING DATE: May 24, 2019
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Assist with the manufacture, packaging and sale of cheddar cheese.
• Clean and sanitize the bulk milk tank in accordance with standard operating procedures.
• Provide a range of support for the operation and interpretation of the Cheese Factory and Farms Unit within Upper Canada Village, e.g. performing daily and seasonal farm chores as required, unloading hay, feeding livestock.
• Ensure the safety of visitors and staff and protect the resources of the site.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario driver’s licence or equivalent to drive on Ontario highways.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of safe food handling, cleaning, and other standard operating procedures related to dairy equipment and cheese making.
• Knowledge of how to operate machinery properly and safely (e.g. bulk tank, truck & trailer, farm machinery).
• Knowledge of the proper selection and use of tools, machinery and materials to manufacture cheese and to demonstrate other agricultural tasks.
• Knowledge of the operational care, and maintenance of various modern and historical equipment, machines, supplies, and tools.
COMMUNICATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TEAMWORK SKILLS
• Effective communication, customer service and teamwork skills.
• The ability to learn the operating procedures and historical subject matter to present it appropriately to visitors.
MATHEMATICAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS
• Knowledge of math to operate the scale.
• Organizational skills to label cheese accurately and keep written records related to packaging and transporting cheese.
• The physical ability, motor skills, concentration and patience to perform cleaning and packaging tasks on a recurring basis and with adequate care and a sense of ownership.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON FRIDAY, MAY 24, 2019.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.