‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Park Worker - Eastern Parks (student)
Parks and Recreational Facilities
Glengarry, Long SaultPkwy, Farran, Riverside-Cedar
Job Description & Requirements
Join a dynamic team focused on providing exceptional customer service at the Parks of the St. Lawrence located along the St. Lawrence River from Morrisburg to Lancaster, Ontario. Here is your chance to spend the summer working outside in an unparalleled, scenic environment.
PARK WORKER (student)
HOURS OF WORK:
variable to a maximum of 36.25 hours per week (must be able to work variable shifts including weekends, holidays, and evenings)
Glengarry Campground, Long Sault Parkway (Mille Roches Campground, Mille Roches Beach Day-Use Picnic Area, Woodlands Campground, Woodlands Beach Day-Use Picnic Area, McLaren Campground), Farran Park Campground, Riverside-Cedar Campground.
$14.00 or $14.85 per hour
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT:
mid-May to September 3, 2018 OR mid-June to September 3, 2018
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Greet and welcome visitors, respond to inquiries and provide site programming and services information.
• Collect fees, process reservations/registrations, handle cash, operate a cash register, process credit card transactions, balance sales and complete closing paperwork.
• Sell retail (in addition to wood and ice), upsell specialized products and manage inventory.
• Clean and maintain washrooms, shower buildings and retail/registration buildings.
• Collect garbage and waste recycling, cut and trim grass, weed flowerbeds, and remove aquatic vegetation from beaches.
• Perform minor repairs, paint buildings and move picnic tables.
• Provide assistance at special events.
• Promote user compliance with park rules and regulations.
• Complete vehicle and equipment log books, cleaning schedule forms, documentation of accidents and/or injuries in the workplace.
• Provide travel and tourist information to the public on other SLPC and Eastern Ontario tourist attractions.
• Work safely at all times and report unsafe activities immediately to your supervisor.
Note: A limited number of positions will require tractor operation for park maintenance and grass mowing.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• The ability and willingness to acquire a good knowledge of the operation of a park (day-use area and/or campground) in a short period of time.
• The ability to sell products, programs and admissions and handle cash with a high degree of accuracy.
• The ability to operate a computerized reservation/registration system, cash register and bank/credit card machine.
• Good communication and customer service skills to deal effectively with staff and the public.
• Good judgement to assess a crisis situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
• The ability to enforce parks rules and regulations.
• The ability to write and prepare reports.
• The physical ability to carry out a variety of manual duties such as cleaning, grounds keeping, moving picnic tables, lifting garbage cans, bags of wood and ice, etc.
• The ability to learn the contents of the Parks and Recreation Policy and Procedures Manual and the Emergency Procedures Manual.
• The ability to learn about other SLPC and Eastern Ontario tourist attractions to provide information to visitors.
• The ability to learn all safety protocols and procedures to ensure personal, visitor and fellow staff safety is maintained at all times.
• A valid driver’s licence may be required for some positions.
Note: A limited number of positions may require the ability to operate equipment such as tractors, string trimmers small utility vehicles, etc.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please indicate specifically how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the duties and qualifications stated above.
DUE TO SCREENING DEADLINES, PRIORITY CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 23, 2018. WE WILL CONTINUE TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS BEYOND THIS DATE.
The St. Lawrence Parks Commission is an equal opportunity employer.