‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Recreational Programmer/Park Worker - Eastern Parks (student)
Parks and Recreational Facilities
Glengarry, Long SaultPkwy, Farran, Riverside-Cedar
Job Description & Requirements
Join a dynamic team focused on providing exceptional customer service at the Parks of the St. Lawrence located along the St. Lawrence River from Morrisburg to Lancaster. Here is your chance to spend the summer working outside in an unparalleled, scenic environment.
RECREATIONAL PROGRAMMER / PARK WORKER (student)
HOURS OF WORK:
variable to a maximum of 36.25 hours per week (must be able to work variable shifts including weekends, holidays, and evenings)
Glengarry Campground, Long Sault Parkway (Mille Roches Campground, Woodlands Campground, McLaren Campground), Farran Park Campground, Riverside-Cedar Campground
$14.00 or $14.85 per hour
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT:
mid-May to September 3, 2018 OR mid-June to September 3, 2018
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Plan, implement, organize, deliver and promote outdoor recreation programs and events, i.e. movie nights, Christmas in July, etc. and visitor/customer services to maximize visitor enjoyment and satisfaction with a focus on interactive family-oriented experiences.
• Maintain all sports and recreation equipment and ensure activity areas are clean and safe.
• Sell retail (in addition to wood and ice), upsell specialized products and manage inventory.
• Collect garbage and waste recycling, cut and trim grass, weed flowerbeds, and remove aquatic vegetation from beaches.
• Perform minor repairs, paint buildings and move picnic tables.
• Clean washrooms, shower buildings
• Provide assistance at special events.
• Promote user compliance with park rules and regulations.
• Complete vehicle and equipment log books and document accidents and/or injuries in the workplace.
• Greet visitors to the park and provide information, maps, brochures, etc.
• Work safely at all times and report unsafe activities immediately to your supervisor.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Knowledge and/or experience in parks, outdoor recreation, interactive play experiences, local history, local natural resources, working with children, sports (i.e. camp counsellor, outdoor education/recreation, early childhood education, teacher/tutor, swimming instructor, coach, etc.).
• The ability to effectively deliver programs to a large number of people of various ages and backgrounds with an emphasis on interactive family experiences.
• The ability and willingness to acquire a good knowledge of the operation of a parks in a short period of time.
• Good communication and customer service skills to deal effectively with staff and the public.
• The physical ability to carry out a variety of manual duties such as cleaning, grounds keeping, moving picnic tables, lifting garbage cans, etc.
• The ability to learn the contents of the Parks and Recreation Policy and Procedures Manual and the Emergency Procedures Manual.
• The ability to learn basic computer and clerical skills, balance receipts and monies and prepare bank deposits.
• The ability to learn about other SLPC and Eastern Ontario tourist attractions to provide information to visitors.
• The ability to learn all safety protocols and procedures to ensure personal, visitor and fellow staff safety is maintained at all times.
• A valid driver’s licence.
A vulnerable service sector check is required for this position.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please indicate specifically how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the duties and qualifications stated above.
DUE TO SCREENING DEADLINES, PRIORITY CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 23, 2018. WE WILL CONTINUE TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS BEYOND THIS DATE.
The St. Lawrence Parks Commission is an equal opportunity employer.