‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Retail & Admissions Clerk
Upper Canada Village
Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Fixed Term Group 2
Job Description & Requirements
RETAIL & ADMISSIONS CLERK
CLASSIFICATION: Merchandiser 2
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Office Administration
SALARY RANGE: $16.95 to $18.00 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: September to January (Group 2 seasonal recurring )
HOURS OF WORK: Variable to 36 hours per week
DIVISION: Upper Canada Village
LOCATION: Upper Canada Village, 11 km east of Morrisburg
POSTING DATE: March 13, 2018
CLOSING DATE: March 27, 2018
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• assist with customers in the retail store
• assist with event retail, setting up booth and processing sales
• assist with the sales of admission tickets
• assist with the operations of the cafe
• support Upper Canada Village customer service through knowledge of the Village, St. Lawrence Parks Commission and community offerings
• operate point-of-sale stations and process cash, credit card and debit card transactions
• provide breaks for other staff during peak visitor visitation
• assist with stocking shelves and maintain the cleanliness of retail areas and cafe area
• ensure safety of visitors and staff by maintaining sanitation and health and safety standards in work areas, and following all health and safety procedures
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence to drive on Ontario highways.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge of retail and retail product in order to increase sales and net profit.
• Knowledge of cash handling procedures and credit card, debit and gift card machines, and the ability to learn the working operation of multiple point-of-sale systems.
• Knowledge of food safety handling and the ability to learn food safety handling and preparation.
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to the work being performed.
COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• Strong oral, reading and written communication skills to ensure the resolution of visitor concerns, questions and needs by responding whenever possible or referring them to an appropriate associate.
• A commitment to quality customer service.
OTHER ESSENTIAL SKILLS:
• Basic computer skills to be able to operate multiple point-of-sale terminals.
• Strong mathematical skills to make proper change.
• Self-motivation and the ability to work in a team environment.
• The ability to take direction, and work calmly and effectively under pressure.
• Strong problem-solving abilities and organization skills to respond to shifting priorities and urgent demands.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2018.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.