‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at HRCompetition@parks.on.ca
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Special Events Assistant
Job Description & Requirements
SPECIAL EVENTS ASSISTANT
CLASSIFICATION: Office Administration 05
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Office Administration
SALARY RANGE: $20.86 to $24.16 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OFEMPLOYMENT: April to February(Group 3 seasonal recurring)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Fort Henry National Historic Site
POSTING DATE: April 13, 2017
CLOSING DATE: May 1, 2017
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• work with the Special Events team and assume select responsibilities for the successful delivery of Fort Fright and Lumina Borealis, two of the signature events at Fort Henry
• attend pre- and post-event strategy meetings, other events or workshops
• secure quotes, maintain budgets and follow proper procurement procedures for all event-related purchases
• provide leadership to student staff, as required, and coordinate volunteers
• perform set up and tear down duties
• contribute to written pre-event proposals and post-event evaluations
• assist in event marketing, taking photographs, liaising with on-site media
• collect and report visitor data
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license or equivalent to drive on Ontario highways
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience in assisting with special event planning and/or execution.
• Knowledge of office administration techniques, procedures and practices to facilitate workflow, provide effective support to staff, and establish and maintain hard copy records and filing systems.
• Knowledge of the operation of office equipment, e.g. photocopier, fax machine, and audiovisual equipment to provide operational assistance to staff.
• Strong oral and written communication skills to respond to internal and external inquiries, to provide instructions and to prepare reports, presentations, etc.
• Knowledge of computers and a variety of software programs to produce letter, reports, budgets, memoranda, presentations with graphics, and to maintain records and information systems.
• Knowledge of database and spreadsheet applications to compile statistical/activity reports, manipulate and retrieve data.
REASONING, PROBLEM-SOLVING AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS:
• Reasoning and problem-solving skills to determine the extent of information to provide in response to inquiries, ensuring confidentiality.
• Analytical skills to determine relevancy of information when compiling and organizing data, to determine the most effective way to present material, and to ensure accuracy of information.
• Analytical skills to determine what matters are urgent and should be given priority when performing a variety of different tasks with conflicting deadlines, and the ability to reschedule daily planned activities to ensure that changing priorities are met.
TEAMWORK, PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH SKILLS:
• The ability to gather and compile information from internal and external sources.
• The ability to understand and follow daily instructions from supervisory staff.
• The ability to work independently and within a team environment.
• The physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.