‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Grounds Maintenance Worker (student)
Parks and Recreational Facilities
Maintenance Building, 11 km east of Morrisburg
Job Description & Requirements
Join a dynamic team, in the Maintenance and Operations Division of the Parks and Recreation Division, that embraces customer service to provide visitors with a treasured experience.
GROUNDS MAINTENANCE WORKER (student)
HOURS OF WORK:
36.25 hours per week
Maintenance Building – Crysler Park Service Area
(11 km east of Morrisburg)
$14.00 or $14.85 per hour
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT:
mid-May to September 3, 2018
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Provide manual labour for the Horticulture, Landscaping, Forestry and Roads Department of the Grounds Maintenance section.
• Rake and level ground, and assist in seeding and sodding newly-graded areas.
• Help with the preparation of flowerbeds, seasonal planting and transplanting of annuals and shrubs.
• Pruning trees and shrubs, mowing and trimming grass around trees and floral beds.
• Assist with brush removal, and collecting and piling firewood.
• Help with the installation of new posts and road signs, moving curbs, painting guardrails and bridges, and operating a stump grinder.
• Work safely at all times and report unsafe activities immediately to your supervisor.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• The mechanical aptitude to perform a variety of mechanical tasks, including the use of hand and power tools and equipment related to the job, e.g. shovels, rakes, lawn mowers, string grass trimmers, etc., in accordance with the safety procedures of the Commission.
• The physical ability to lift, carry, hold, bend and stoop, as well as load and unload materials and equipment.
• The ability to work as an effective team member and the ability to carry out basic oral and written instructions
• Communication and customer service skills to interact with staff and the public.
• The ability to learn all safety protocols and procedures to ensure personal, visitor and fellow staff safety is maintained at all times.
• A valid driver’s licence.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please indicate specifically how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the duties and qualifications stated above.
DUE TO SCREENING DEADLINES, PRIORITY CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 23, 2018. WE WILL CONTINUE TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS BEYOND THIS DATE.
The St. Lawrence Parks Commission is an equal opportunity employer.