‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Tour, Retail & Admissions Supervisor (Kingston Penitentiary)
Fixed Term Group 1
Job Description & Requirements
TOUR, RETAIL AND ADMISSIONS SUPERVISOR, KINGSTON PENITENTIARY
CLASSIFICATION: Merchandiser 4
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Administrative
SALARY RANGE: $19.55 to $20.76 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: April to November 2018 (Group 3)
HOURS OF WORK: 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Kingston Penitentiary
POSTING DATE: February 9, 2018
CLOSING DATE: February 26, 2018
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• carry out lead hand and operational duties in a fast paced historical tour operation
• provide day to day group leadership to retail, admission and tour guide staff to ensure the smooth execution of historical tours and a superior customer experience
• conduct tours on an as needed basis if required
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
• Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence or equivalent to drive on Ontario highways.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• You have knowledge of and experience in the hospitality or tourism industry, event management, merchandising, and general retail to support the efficient operation of a historical tour operation which includes a retail component.
• You have experience planning day-to-day staffing schedules, ensuring adequate numbers of staff are scheduled for each shift.
• You have knowledge of the operation of computer and software programs, cash registers and computerized point-of-sale registers, and cash handling.
• You have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations that apply to the work to ensure compliance when performing supervisory responsibilities.
COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• You have advanced oral communication skills, tact and diplomacy to effectively communicate with staff, the general public, interest groups, service providers/contractors and other Ministries/Agencies.
• You have knowledge in customer service practices to handle client requests and solve problems.
• You possess a personal commitment to excellent customer service.
PROBLEM SOLVING AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS:
• You have strong analytical and problem solving skills to assess workload demands and operational capabilities, troubleshoot problems and resolve client issues and complaints.
LEADERSHIP AND TEAMWORK SKILLS:
• You have strong leadership skills to provide leadership and guidance to subordinate staff by assigning and monitoring work, providing training on various programming and procedures, systems and types of equipment, and providing input to performance appraisals.
• You have the ability to work in a team environment and to work under pressure.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2018.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.