‹ Go Back to St. Lawrence Parks Commission
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact our staff in Human Resources at
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Tour Guide (Kingston Penitentiary)
Job Description & Requirements
TOUR GUIDE, KINGSTON PENITENTIARY
CLASSIFICATION: Interpreter 1
COMPENSATION GROUP: OPSEU - Administrative
SALARY RANGE: $14.78 to $15.68 per hour
Where candidates lack the full qualifications, an appointment may be made at a lower classification and salary level
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: May to October 2018 (Both Group 3 Seasonal and Group 1 Fixed Term positions are available)
HOURS OF WORK: Seasonal positions are 36.25 hours per week, Fixed Term positions are variable up to 36.25 hours per week
DIVISION: Kingston Penitentiary Tours
POSTING DATE: February 13, 2018
CLOSING DATE: February 28, 2018
AREA OF SEARCH: OPEN
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
• Lead guided historical tours, making each visitor’s experience unique by providing an interesting, memorable and safe experience.
• Assist in areas of admissions and retail, greeting and checking in visitors as well as selling retail product.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• You have knowledge of and experience in the hospitality or tourism industry and the ability to learn historical information related to Kingston Penitentiary within a limited timeframe and interpret to the public within the scripts provided.
• You have experience operating cash registers and computerized point-of-sale registers, and cash handling.
• You have the ability to learn and follow safety protocols to ensure visitor and staff safety at all times.
COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• You have strong verbal communication skills to effectively articulate information clearly and concisely, maintaining volume when speaking in both indoor and outdoor environments.
• You have experience in customer service practices to handle visitor requests and solve problems.
• Ability to time manage and deliver superior tours on time, to large groups of visitors at one time.
• You possess a personal commitment to excellent customer service.
LEADERSHIP AND TEAMWORK SKILLS:
• You have the ability to assume responsibility and exercise initiative while working alone or in work in a team environment and the ability to work under pressure.
REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 11:59 PM ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2018.
WE THANK ALL CANDIDATES FOR APPLYING, BUT ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR FURTHER SCREENING OR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
The Parks of the St. Lawrence is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information on how to request accommodation or assistance, please contact Human Resources at 1-800-437-2233, ext. 2440.